Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Uncharacteristically Brave

So this happened today...


It's been a crappy day.  Really crappy.  

Except for the parts that were amazing.  

I always tell people that I'm afraid of heights and afraid of the dark and afraid of everything.  I bill myself most days as a chicken.  I always think that I'm more nice than I am resilient or strong or hard working.  And before today, that might have been a little bit true.  

But do you know what I realized just a few minutes ago?  I'm different today than I was a month ago or a year ago or ten years ago.  I've done hard things before.  I do them all the time.  And in the past week, I've crossed crazy long bridges...over water, trespassed in abandoned buildings, and slid down a dang waterslide!  

After I did it, McKay said, "I love that you're so adventurous!"

...and that makes amazing beat out crappy for the day.

"Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves."  - Cheryl Strayed

2 comments: